According to the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), LEED buildings save energy, water, resources, generate less waste and support human health. At Ceco, we support and help you achieve your sustainable building objectives. Our metal building products, construction practices and delivery methods can help you:
Ceco roof and wall panel systems, structural members and other steel products are virtually 100% recyclable and contain between 30%-50% or more recycled material.
Metal roof and wall panels help reduce waste due to their unmatched durability and resistance to fire, wind and insects.
Metal building systems are also known for low maintenance and operating costs so, Ceco can optimize your building’s economic performance throughout its life cycle.
Pre-engineered metal buildings utilize a number of insulation options, lower energy costs and environmental impact. The uniform structural framing typical of most metal buildings provides added flexibility in both the amount and type of insulation you can use. IMPs also have high R-values, providing superior thermal performance and reducing energy consumption, and qualify as continuous insulation by the IECC and ASHRAE 90.1.
Ceco also provides options in ENERGY STAR and LEED compliant cool roofs including metal panels that reflect heat from the sun instead of transferring it to the building.
As part of the Cornerstone Building Brands family, Ceco belongs to an extensive network of manufacturing facilities—meaning most of Ceco products never travel more than 500 miles. Not only does this network create a more economical product with reduced shipping costs, it also lowers the environmental impact of fuel emissions during delivery.
The chart below provides a more detailed look at how Ceco Building Systems can help you earn specific credits toward LEED certification.
LEED®-Ceco Building Systems Credit Guide
|SS Credit 5.1||Site Development:
Protect or Restore Habitat
|1||Being shop-fabricated, Ceco metal building systems allow field assembly using a minimal work area.|
|SS Credit 7.1||Heat Island Effect:Non-roof||Up to 2 (1 plus 1 Exemplary Performance point4)||By deploying parking covers with Ceco metal roof products, 1 point is earned for 50% of spaces covered, and an exemplary performance point can be earned for 100% of spaces covered.|
|SS Credit 7.2||Heat Island Effect:Roof||1||Our Snow White, Ivory, Bone White, and Solar White colors meet the low-slope requirement, and all Ceco colors meet the steep slope requirement of this credit.|
|EA Credit 1||Optimize Energy Performance||Up to 10||By utilizing Ceco cool roof colors3 and insulated metal panels in your energy models, you can reduce external loads and downsize HVAC equipment to help get the most points possible.|
|MR Credit 4||Recycled Content: 10% and 20%||Up to 2||Depending on the nature of the project, Ceco metal building systems will contain between 25% and 60% recycled steel by weight5 (Post-consumer + ½ Pre-consumer.) On a typical project, this will represent about 40% of our contract value.|
|EQ Credit 8.2||Daylight and Views: Daylight 75% of spaces||1||Ceco’s insulated light -transmitting panels are excellent diffusers when used on the roof or walls.|
1. This table assumes LEED-NC v3.0 unless otherwise noted.
2. LEED requirements are based on all materials constructed under the project contract, of which the metal building is only a portion. Actual requirements may not be achieved once all materials are considered. Credit values shown on this table reflect those available, not necessarily those that are earned for a given project.
3. The use of cool roof colors may actually not be allowed in the energy code used for your project. In colder climates, darker roof colors may result in optimal energy performance. Consult your design professional for local requirements.
4. The claiming of Exemplary Performance points may be limited.
5. Using the US Steel Recycling Institute industry averages for October 2012.
6. For more information about LEED and the USGBC’s requirements for LEED Certification, please visit their site here.